UXD process

Since a lot of my work cannot be put up on a public website, I have added the workflow i used during the projects to showcase how I implemented UXD.

For projects I would incorporate the following steps which are based on the elements of user experience by Jesse James Garret and have been further refined to suit our internal processes:

  • Strategy – based on a UX canvas
  • Scope – User scenario’s
  • Structure – User flow & wireframes
  • Surface – Visual design

Strategy

The strategy started off by clarifying the business problem, outcome, user benefits and possible ideas that had already been thought of. This would be done by the business stakeholder who would usually just start with the solution. We wanted to keep giving them this option but also clarifying why they wanted it. This would form the base of the project and would help onboard other colleagues and third parties. This also helped immensely in keeping the end goal in mind. On the eight you can find a canvas with I altered on which i based a canvas that would suit our business processes better.


What sometimes helped form the strategy was to already work on user scenarios. This helped business understand whether they addressed the problem and which scenarios would have the greatest impact. As some scenario’s were edge cases, there was always a need to check which scenario’s were feasible to fix and which scenarios would take too much time or cost too much to fix. Some edge cases would be left for later stages or were moved to other projects.

 


Structure

Redesign wishlist flow and preliminary sketches

Once the scope was clear I would clarify the scenario’s in more detail in the form of user flows. This allowed me to detail which content and which interactions would be needed indifferent steps of the scenario. A lot of technical requirements would be clarify in this step so checking with our development team was essential. From the user flow I would start on basic sketches for the interface. We would iterate on the sketches with stakeholders, users and webdesigner to make sure we would not waste time making them digital and having to drastically change them afterwards. After final approval for the sketches I would make digital wireframes and perfect the layout. This would be further discussed with the webdesigner.

 


Surface

After final approval for the wireframes, I would work together with our webdesigner to basically fill the wireframes with content and design the elements to match our current website. We did not have much of a design guideline, so most designs were done on the fly. Further refinement with our development team was done regarding certain interactions if we were unsure what was possible. Final user testing would usually be done via corridor test; we would ask colleagues from different departments to test and we would fine tune the last design.

At the end we would set up a final meeting with stakeholders to get approval and sign off. The project would be planned for development, testing and release. During development I would be on call for developers to clarify any issues they found in the design.